Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Framing updates and Next Series of events...

...we're moving right along. Not much more that what is already known from my last posts...however pictures are worth a thousand words. Basically a quick update with pictures on the current status and what I know will be happening in the next couple days.

Framed old closet that is now part of the bathroom
From inside the bathroom looking into the room

The area the looked great completely open, but here is the framing of how it will end up. Still love it! 


Same picture, but looking out towards the dining room. Still open, so Im not worried. 

If I knew it was this easy, I would have done this part myself.  Ha. This was the door that led to the closet which is now part of the kitchen (the extended part of the kitchen where we're putting a new doorway). Simple frame needed I guess?? Geez, cant get over how simple this part was.


So with this stuff done, it now allows us to move forward with all the electrical and plumbing needs in the kitchen and bathroom. Clearly we were able to start in other areas sooner than later, but for the sake of just knowing where the final walls will be for those contractors, this stuff needed to be here anyways. Like I said, its starting to move rapidly...a little scary, a little exciting...urgency to get it done - YES (I want to live in my house).

Plumbing and Electrical begin this week and I have no idea how long those things take. One big part of the house that has a ton of weird cables and pipes because the routed wiring the cheapest way they could from the main panel (the only panel at that) to the house was through some conduit piping in the ceiling of the garage. To get rid of those ugly pipes and a benefit to me to ensure my "Man Cave" is as clean as possible, we are eliminating the pipes and wiring PROPERLY (above the ceiling and out of sight.

What this means is my brother and I have the fun task of what we thought we were done doing....DEMOLITION in the garage. Ahhh yes...dusty, messy, labor intensive and sometimes fun. Im a little scared to see whats behind the walls in garage because I dont want any surprises that could up bump up our expenses. However, on a good note...we benefit from it in many ways and especially me (lucky me). 

Benefits:

- No need to revisit making the garage nice because the walls will be new and the only real thing left to do would be to re-slab the floor (which can be done even after we move because I plan to have a clean garage with cabinets - moving stuff from the floor space should be easier and walls will be nice, so no dust issues if we moved in first, then did all the garage work). 

- The ugly piping is removed and wiring is hidden from sight. New wiring will be done clean and the wiring we are doing will be eliminating a ton of junk on one wall which was basically unusable to me. With the wiring being removed, it can now be a wall to hang tools or cabinets and will just be clean.

- Insulation is now going to be done. Walls will be out, why not...gotta keep a "Man Cave" warm. By doing what we're doing, we will also be able to insulate the ceiling in the garage which is actually the floor to our living room. This is comforting to me...little sound dampening and just the fact that we will be able to seal any imperfect things I see today that kind of expose air from the garage to seep into the living room area as it sits today is worth it. From watching those home inspector TV shows, I learned a lot about ensuring your garage air space does not make its way in the house - Carbon Monoxide and any other thing youre doing in the garage is a no no for inside air - doesnt take a genius for that, but as it is today...that WOULD happen. No more after this.

- Remount my broken garage door hangers. In fact, we're getting a new opener and door - Belt Driven, Silent and High-Tech (need those silly features that no one else does...its me). Rather than cheapy mounting, we will opt to mount properly and directly to the joist (its a tad bit cleaner and much stronger in the end). New Garage, New Door...I think it just goes hand in hand...other than our door today is bent and broken. It works, just not physically attractive and a little on the dangerous side due to one broken hanger.

- Electrical as I want it. Yes, I will not scrounge for plugs in my own home and use extension cords and splitters galore in the garage. This garage will be functional and who knows, maybe Ill ask for a dedicated line if I need one for Electrical Car Plug Ports in the event we get one of those. No plans to...but who knows? Yes, Cable TV will run in this garage...oh yeah, PS3, Xbox...you know that will be at your finger tips in here. True hang out spot.

- Optional depending on cost and if I can get some expertise or help to do it myself. I will be creating a mini lockable hidden space for my bikes under the house that is accessible from the garage. We have the space, I just dont know cost and difficulty yet....if its an option, I will definitely do this. It would be nice to keep my bikes and guest bikes out of site and not taking up garage space. No I will not mount them on the wall...garage isnt that big. I think it was built around the time Ford Model A's were around (true fact). So space is not massive at all in here - I would not consider it a true two car garage unless you had a Mini and a Smart Car.

So as you can see...many benefits for us in general, but for me as it is what I like to call "My Space" whether my wife likes it or not. Shes designed the entire house basically....so this is my space that I get to splurge on (though its not really nearly as extensive as our Kitchen and Bathroom areas).

Next updates will probably include the beginning of the plumbing work and electrical work. We'll see if I can snap some pictures while the work is in progress...probably not as I will be working, but I think I will be able to get some shots as they complete it at the end of the days. We'll follow progress in that respect. 

Some exciting parts of this next line of work include:

- New Water Heater (High Efficient On-Demand) to replace large monstrosity of a heater in my basement. The new unit will relocate to the side of my house (hopefully flush mounted on the side as my brother inlaw explained to me - should be sleek if they can do it without issue). 

- ALL NEW PIPES - Water and Gas. Thank goodness. Even those pipes today are routed a little crazy. New pipes will make sense and will look like they go where they are supposed to. Today, you wouldnt be able to tell...its unreal.

- Addition of a new Sub Panel. Currently we have one - Main that is outside. With the replacement of the old school knob and tube wiring and mini panel....we now get a modern updated sub panel that will be inside out laundry room. No need to go outside to shut off or reset breakers. No more fire hazard thoughts....less likely at least as we replace wires with new stuff.

- New spigots in the yard. Currently there is one in the backyard that doesnt exactly close when you shut off the water all the time...might drip here and there. Though one is good, I think we will get two - one on each side of the rear corner of the house to ensure we can get a hose around the house if we need it without having to buy a 100ft hose. The one in front is fine...hopefully they replace it with something nicer. Im not in charge of the plumbing details - left that up to my brother inlaw. He knows best.

- Laundry Room plumbing will be done - we're going Gas on the dryer. First for me...save a few pennys over the years.

...too much to list. As you can see, its exciting for me. Even after a long days work...exhausting basketball with my coworkers (almost died from 1 game), going back to work for a few hours and then coming home...I still managed to think straight to write something about the house. Grammer, spelling and all that aside...Im making sure I dont miss stuff. If I forget anything, you know I will post it some time in the next couple days.


No comments:

Post a Comment