Saturday, February 16, 2013

Window Installation and Side Projects

Window installation is coming to an end. Finish work is all that is left (Stucco Patching, Interior Trim, Stucco Trim, final water proofing and whatever else is associated when installing new windows.

I must say, it was probably the most expensive part of our project, but well worth it and much needed. I think we learned a lot and would probably do something different with our windows next time around, but likely wont happen unless we just decide to splurge one day...as if we didnt already with the windows we got (who knows?). Overall all, happy with the windows and clearly a HUGE benefit for us in regards to appearance, functionality and adding to our energy efficiency upgrades (dual pane, UV protection, etc etc).

Today the lower part of the house was done - the less likely to be seen by anyone, other than me and people who will come into my dungeon once in a while. Still, if the rest of the house got windows, so do my areas (Im grateful for that decision - probably the better decision so they all match now...we were originally thinking of not touching windows in the basement or garage).

I decided to take on a quick cheap project with Ira today. I reached out to him as I found an easy solution for my bike storage. This is something I have been noodling on for a while and finally found a very cost effective way to do it and it was simple. Basically the goal for my man cave is to remain clean and not have too much clutter out - part of that being my bike in an open area - for space and security.

I always wanted the bikes to be in a hidden lockable area - in case the house was ever broken into and to keep the garage clean. As you know, I love my bikes and at times I can have a few...not to mention when not in use, they take a ton of space. Well, problem solved. With a quick call to Ira to get some input and man power/carpenter skills and me going to Home Depot to get some cheap parts, we went ahead and did a quick bike rack install for the crawl space...(when I say Crawl Space - it just means under the house - parts of it really "crawl" space and other parts are stand up areas...but a part that no traffic will pass - EVER...other than me and anyone certified to enter).

A few other things we took care of that werent huge, but good useful upgrades. No time wasted. Also received another key part of the house technology.

Basement Window and Mini Man Cave toilet Window. Now Obscure - it used to be clear, so you could see right through if you were doing something.  
Crawl Space Bike Rack - Basically you hang bike off of the pipes from your seat. Plenty of room here for many bikes and it was simple and cheap - maybe a $40.00 project.

Heres what it looks like with one bike on. Off the floor and safely hanging with no issues. Now imagine that, but with all my bikes (and Lil C'z bike of course). We can fit all our bikes and guest bikes when we ride and store them away as needed - SAFELY. Crawl space has one entrance and will be key code locked at all times. 
This is just some new shelving I decided to add to todays project. Great racking system by Rubber Maid. I wasnt a fan of the junky wood work they previous owner had here, so I got some sturdy, properly mounted shelves. I will be adding more of this and have plenty of room for expansion as needed. It was a test for today and it works great and is very sturdy. What was here before was just horrible.  Remember, this is crawl space that no one will see...so though it doesn't need to look pretty in this area, the shelves are still nice.
The backbone to our network is slowing coming together. Yes, I have planned this much like a business network - our house will run at Gigabit Speeds - no issues with gaming, streaming video/music, transferring files, etc etc. 48 total ports available - probably 32 will be live and active for anyone to plug into. 12 of the ports are in the garage for open use. ALL TV's and Cable Boxes will have direct Ethernet Connections (not wireless for true uninterrupted speeds) and each room will have a minimum of 2-4 ports available for Data/Voice. This is all part of my hardwired project - though wireless will be available in all bands as needed - 802.11 A, B, G, N through (2) Airport Access Points of course. One will be located under the house in back and one will be located in front to cover the entire radius of the home including the backyard and street immediately in front. The man cave will also have a dedicated Network Printer for any guest - a multi function machine rather. No need for Kinkos - we'll have it taken care of here. And for the dorks that read too deeply into technology, YES, I know my bandwidth will still be the bottleneck - kiss my @ss. Comcast will be plenty fast and your a "doofball". 

No comments:

Post a Comment